[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 chkconfig strange behavior

Cal Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Fri Jul 22 19:17:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 13:00 -0600, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Friday, July 22, 2011 11:10:29 AM -0700 Jerry Moore <tech10 at mcn.org>
> wrote:
>
> > It appears that chkconfig is re sequencing or re ordering the start
> > priority of various services when turning on a service using chkconfig.
> [...]
> > The only solution I've found is to remove the entire BEGIN INIT INFO to
> > END INIT INFO section. Once that is removed it no longer changes the
> > network startup priority when enabling the snmpd service.
>
> SuSE (and perhaps some other distributions) have for a few years
> been using that BEGIN/END INIT INFO block instead of the 'chkconfig'
> line to determine ordering, and will do exactly as you described.
>
> Without having looked into the CentOS 6 case, I would guess that
> the mechanism used in RHEL has changed to match.  This could very
> well be related to the LSB project, although that's just a guess, too.

System V init has been replaced by "upstart"

Upstream Deployment Guide:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/deployment.html

Fedora Wiki:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Upstart

Run levels are depreciated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart

This change has been in the works for a few years:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-September/082817.html

Some articles from Google search [RHEL centos upstart]
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/57213
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/RHEL-6-ditches-System-V-init-for-Upstart-What-Linux-admins-need-to-know