[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 chkconfig strange behavior

Jerry Moore tech10 at mcn.org
Fri Jul 22 22:47:45 UTC 2011

On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Devin Reade wrote:

> Again just guessing (my one test CentOS 6 system doesn't currently
> have snmpd installed) have a look at not only the snmpd script but
> also the ones that should have been started between network and snmpd.
> It sounds like some dependencies are missing.
>
> In particular, do your "other services" depend on $network, either
> directly or transitively?
>
> You might also want to experiment with 'chkconfig XXXXXX reset'.
>
> Devin

Hey Devin,

I'm feeling a little silly now and I swear I checked for this but you hit the nail on the head. Turns out I had pushed a service that was dependent on network further down the list so whenever I enabled snmpd in chkconfig it would re order network below the other dependent service.

Thanks again for the help!

--Jerry