[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Giovanni Tirloni gtirloni at sysdroid.com
Sat Jul 23 22:53:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Thomas Dukes <tdukes at sc.rr.com> wrote:

> Help!
>
> Just ran the installation DVD but there is no option to 'upgrade'. Looked
> at
> the RHEL docs,
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installati
> on_Guide/ch-guimode-x86.html#id4594292 referenced off the CentOS Release
> notes but the CentOS installation doesn't offer the 'upgrade'.
>
> I use to be able to upgrade by doing a 'yum update'. That doesn't work
> either.
>
> Guess I'm stuck with 5.6 as I an not about to install a new version and
> have
> to rebuild all non-rpm packages from scratch. This is worse than
> Microsoft!!

Red Hat does not support upgrades between major versions (doesn't
necessarily mean it's not possible)
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-upgrade-x86.html
http://linsec.ca/blog/2011/02/23/my-adventure-upgrading-rhel5-to-rhel6/

Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux have a very different release strategies
and version numbers. You can read more about the support lifecycle here:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

--
Giovanni Tirloni