[CentOS] lots of small files in a folder on Linux centos

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jul 24 11:19:04 UTC 2011

Am 24.07.2011 13:03, schrieb Eero Volotinen:
> 2011/7/24 yonatan pingle <yonatan.pingle at gmail.com>:

>> uploads]# ls | wc -l
>> 3123

> I assume that you are using ext3 or ext4 filesystems? Both ext3 and
> ext4 slows down, if there is too much files in same directory.
> XFS-fs is solution to fix this problem.

> Eero

Seriously, 3123 files in a single directory is not an issue for any of
the extX filesystems. Though ext2 probably performs the worst, ext3 and
particular ext4 should not have any problem with that small amount of
file objects. Given that the filesystem is not already filled nearby 100%.

An issue may be, how the code deals with the directory content. Horrible
code for sure can impact the speed of the website, but should not affect
the system globally.

Yonatan, if you really are concerned about the uploads directory, then
use vmstat, iostat or sar to check system parameters while the directory
is accessed.

Your problem is something else, I am pretty sure.

Alexander