[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Mon Jul 25 02:28:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:20:07PM -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> I have never had a problem upgrading a CentOS release since I started with
> 3.x. Seems now, I can't even upgrade from 5.6 to 5.7. I have never had to do
> a complete re-install since moving from Slackware 1.x to Redhat 2.x except
> once when I had a hard drive failure.

There is no 5.7 yet.

> The software package I use which takes hours of trial and error to compile
> and install is as simple apt-get install under Ubunto. There are no rpms for
> zoneminder 1.24.x. The compliation of ffmpeg/zoneminder seems to be an issue
> with CentOS with the outdated php/mysql and other various libs.

I know of at least one packaged zoneminder and its required deps; I'm
not sure if it's public but if it is the person that did the packaging will
likely speak up as he is on this list.  So it's indeed possible.

> I can see the direction RHEL is taking and its more and more like Microsoft.
> The enduser is having to be more and more dependent on the provider. CentOS
> has its hands tied.

This is purely FUD.

> I thank all for the help I have recievied over the years, its just not
> beneficial to stay this current direction.

Good luck with future endeavors.

							John
--
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to
what lies within us.