[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jul 25 15:09:44 UTC 2011

On Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:25:56 PM Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 24.07.2011 02:00, schrieb Thomas Dukes:
>
> > When I say non-rpm, I mean source packages I compiled such as zoneminder.
>
> And even *if* you would be able to upgrade from CentOS 5.x to 6 -
> technically and by personal skills - what makes you think that your self
> compiled software would not completely fail, just because libraries change?

The specific example of zoneminder is particularly insidious.  On our zoneminder systems, even point updates to certain libraries has created problems.  A good, modern, package of zoneminder in a repo somewhere would save a lot of grief in that particular case.

And even having maintained packages before, I'm not sure I would want to touch rolling my own zoneminder package(s).