[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jul 25 15:53:51 UTC 2011

On Monday, July 25, 2011 11:22:37 AM R P Herrold wrote:
> 1.24 looks 'doable', although perhaps not without some C6
> libraries -- I see it in rawhide, and in F, after F13, as I
> recall

I managed to get 1.24.x (VM is shut down right now due to VMware update 'things' going on, so can't check specific version) running, but it wasn't pleasant, and required very specific versions of things to get it working on CentOS 5.  It does work, but it is touchy if any of its dependencies gets updated.  And now there is a newer version than the one I have running.....

And the SELinux business is still there (or rather, not there) and that complicates things. This seems to be more true with network cameras than with native v4l devices.

With the library version in C6 being more close to what ZM wants, it should be easier to make it work with C6.  Haven't tried out C6 on our VMware setup yet; it's ESX 3.5U5, and AFAIK EL6 isn't supported on ESX3.5.  But I'm still digging into that, and seeing if vSphere 4 vmware-tools from packages.vmware.com will work on ESX3.5.

If ZM just wasn't the most useful CCTV webcam software out there, bar none, I'd probably not even bother.  I haven't found anything even close to ZM in terms of functionality in the open-source realm.