[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 25 20:34:12 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 07:26 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
[snip]
> My condition in that case was that you couldn't count on the RPM to work
> anyway once the distribution changes.  So you'll likely be repeating
> that extra effort anyway.

Not sure what you mean with "once the distribution changes" but within a
major CentOS/RHEL version (e.g. 5 or 6) there is a stable ABI so an
update to the distro should not introduce issues. In my experience apps
deployed on RHEL 5.1 work equally on 5.7. If they work crappy, hire
better developers :)

> And of course your next install may be on a
> non-RPM based system, making any rpm-packaging effort moot.

So do people in the Windows world decide to *not* build msi packages
because their PHB might decide to replace all Windows with RHEL/CentOS?
I have never seen that (the not building msi packages that is). And
neither the reverse. I build versioned packages so (amongst other
things) I can create a controlled and predictable environment. Are you
going to install from source on thousands of servers or do you push
*one* tested rpm? I know what I will be doing. Anything else just does
not make sense to me.

Regards,
Patrick