[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Tue Jul 26 13:08:07 UTC 2011

Several points (all for "enterprises I've worked at")
1) Folks tend to hold onto hardware WAY past the expiration date.  We
still have SunFire v1xx boxes alive and some x86 boxes that aren't 64
bit capable.  If they want the latest OS, buy new hardware.
2) I've never seen an OS upgraded across major releases under an
existing app (other than a web server).  Generally it is the other way.
The app guys want to run the new version, which requires the new OS, which
requires new hardware, which requires a full recert.
3) Just because IBM can do it on mainframes and Power/AIX boxes, doesn't
mean you can do it on x86 hardware.  Or should even try.
4) As others have noted, comparing RHEL to Fedora is not valid.