[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:45:42 UTC 2011

On 7/26/2011 9:03 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> I'm sure that some of these major upgrades *can* be done, but in a land where the package is the unit of OS granularity, and package maintenance practices vary from package to package as to 'upgradeableness,' it really becomes a task, and this is before even considering the upgrade-hostile attitudes of some software projects that upstream ships packaged in upstream EL.

Keep in mind that the Linux kernel itself makes no concessions to
backwards compatibility and demands that all related modules be
recompiled to match changes.   Enterprise distributions have their hands
full just trying to keep things working within the life of a major rev
and are generally restricted in how much new development can be added
without major breakage.

Other OS kernels have more reason to maintain backwards binary
compatibly (i.e. paying customers that demand it...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com