[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:29:57 UTC 2011

On 7/26/2011 10:18 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

>> Keep in mind that the Linux kernel itself makes no concessions to
>> backwards compatibility and demands that all related modules be
>> recompiled to match changes.
>
> One of my paragraphs originally included a fairly lengthy passage on kernel ABI compatibility, but I trimmed it out, and I 'genericized' to more than just the one project, and put in parentheses the statement 'partly to prevent closed-source programs from continuing to work' as a more generic thing, more than just binary kernel modules.
>
> It's most assuredly not just the kernel.

Yes, its only a slight over-generalization to say that free projects
have no obligation to existing customers and they usually prefer 'new
and different' development to boring backward compatible support work.

Even though RHEL isn't a free project, there's only so much they can do
to reconcile the wild changes in the code they include.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com