[CentOS] gconftool-2 scripted customizations (was Re: running X as root in centos 6)

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Jul 27 18:58:26 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 01:18 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 05:34 PM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>> PS: If anyone knows anything better than the above sort of commands,
>> please pipe up. I've been doing a *lot* of gconftool-2 scripted
>> customizations lately and some of the options are pretty hard to
>> research. Things like setting default colors for gnome-terminal or
>> changing icons defaults, etc. are a fruitful source of irritating
>> mistakes. Any better ideas are welcome -- thanks in advance.
>
> Welcome to the config wasteland created by the Gnome devs. Why have a
> gui when you can remove options or the entire gui and hide the good
> stuff in the darkest&  deepest Gnome basement only to be seen when
> singing magical gconf incantations? :) I am not sure if there is any
> appreciation for pre-configured mass deployment of Gnome based desktops.
>
> Afaik there is no other way then to venture into gconf/dconf land. I
> have been trying to figure out how to make Gnome 3 on Fedora 15 less
> annoying and return some of the Gnome 2 goodness. Some of the config
> options only seem to show up in gconf while others only show up in
> dconf. It's a config hell probably only surpassed by Window's DLL hell.
>
> Some of the gnome-terminal color stuff I have been using for F14:

Very helpful -- splitting it up makes more sense I was trying recently
to get things done through the /blah/blahblah/Default/palette key for
gnome-terminal and its behaving oddly. Do I need to be escaping any
characters or making more use of quotes for the color indicators?

Thanks!
-Iwao

PS: As far as Gnome2 goes... there was so much promise with the gconf
system (customize *everything* in a script, if you just learn the
incantations) that I am really frustrated that Gnome3 didn't turn out to
be a refactoring effort instead of a "let's make everyone's multi-head
systems into a huge iPad" disaster. Meh... That argument has been had
elsewhere enough that I am actually pretty eager to see how 3.2 or so
turns out.