[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jul 28 17:23:31 UTC 2011

On 07/28/11 8:52 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> the thing is that not all mail clients will set the in-reply-to headers,
> whuch is why clients like thunderbird, evolution and mutt will use the
> subject line as well to thread messages.

Its the "References:" header that controls threading in mail clients
that support it.   I'm using thunderbird, and afaik, it won't revert to
Subject based pseudo threading in the absence of References.   Subject
line changes don't break the thread, which is why using 'reply' and
changing the subject to start a new thread makes a mess wherre the new
thread is buried in the original that it was in reply to....