[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Jul 30 17:43:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> From: Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the
>     same IP
>
> It's extremely common for an HTTP connection to the unqualified
> first-level domain to direct one to the website home page, but whether
> that is accomplished by having the IPs be the same or by way of an
> HTTP redirect, I would not say there's any clear winner.   However, it
> is not a universal practice.

I think the generally accept convention now is that
www.domain.org and domain.org both point to the website for
that particular domain name.

That's the beauty of having a domain name that allows one to
create sub-domains. Not all domain name seller's provide
that option of creating your own sub-domains. My
karsites.net domain is registered and hosted by my ISP, but
I recently moved the DNS entries for that domain name
(karsites.net) to my cloud hosting provider.

I can now administer all my sub-domain entries directly on
the cloud, even though I did not register the domain name
there.

Being able to create many more sub-domains on a
single domain obviously means you only pay for the initial
domain name registration, and you can then create as many
other subdomains as you need. Take sourceforge.net for
example. Each project has it's own sub-domain under
project-home.sf.net

Anyway, I'm bantering on, and going a bit OT now!

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net