[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 30 17:45:15 UTC 2011

> Hi list,
> I am having a debate with one of my clients where I administer their
> domain and storage server but the website is hosted by godaddy.
> thus www.mydomain.org goes to one of godaddy's servers but the
> mydomain.org and mail.mydomain.org and ns1.mydomain.org all go elsewhere.
>
> My website designer has been convinced by the godaddy web design team
> that we should
> <quote>
>
> Again, the standard practice in the industry is for name.org and
> www.name.org to be "tied" together. The primary domain is mydomain.org and you
> have it while the church's web site is using the sub domain, www.mydomain.org. I
> have been on the phone with tech support and they say that out of close to 1
> million web site hosting customers, NOBODY purposely separates the two. We
> will run into these issues every time someone tries to create a form, new
> navigation and potentially new pages, according to Godaddy.
> PLEASE create a sub-domain for your server that is not mydomain.org and,
> transfer mydomain.org into the new godaddy account we just set up for the new
> web site.
>
> </quote>
> I have never heard this before, and have not had any problems with any
> other clients until this client hooked up with godaddy for their website.
> Anyone out there that can shed some light on this?
> Do most domains keep the Top Level Domain (TLD)  the same as the www.TLD?

Some do, some don't.  Some have a redirect from TLD to www.TLD, some
have a redirect from www.TLD to TLD, some allow www.TLD and TLD to be
used interchangably (eg have set Apache to consided one an alias for
the other without any redirect directives).  There is NO hard and fast
rule for this.  And still others have various <mumble>.TLD, in some
cases several *different* servers (physical or virtual), all running a
httpd server daemon (static.TLD, images.TLD, www.TLD ... -- visit
www.facebook.com and watch the status bar on your browser for
enlightenment).

I think Firefox (maybe IE) will automagically stick www. on front of a
domain name when it is entered in the location field and the bare domain
name fails to resolve to an IP number.