[CentOS] CentOS on the HP MicroServer

Sun Jul 3 09:52:23 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

I'm been running two HP MicroServers as home-servers under CentOS-5.6
for 2 months, and have been very happy with their performance.
I'm wondering if there are many other MicroServer/CentOS users around?

I've been surprised when looking at the MicroServer forums
(eg <<http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/
1431514-hp-proliant-microserver-n36l-owners-thread.html>)
how few posts I see from CentOS users,
even though RHEL is one of the only two OS's
officially supported by HP for this machine
(the other is Windows Home Server).

Is there by chance a MicroServer/CentOS forum anywhere?
I haven't been able to locate one.

The MicroServer is incredibly cheap at the moment,
as HP keep extending their cash-back offer
which brings the price down to about €160
(with 1GB RAM and a 250GB SATA disk).

There is a large amount of official HP Linux support,
eg the "HP Smart Update Manager",
though as usual with HP software I find it quite difficult to use.
(I have the same feeling about HP support for printers.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net