[CentOS] Changing from RHEL to CentOS

Tue Jun 7 16:35:10 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:30:18 AM Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 09:43:24 AM Nicolas Ross wrote:
> >> I switch a RHEL machine in EL6 to scientific linux a while ago, and I
> >> suppose it's the exact same thing for Centos.
> > [snip process]

> > You do realize that you didn't replace the RHEL binaries, right?

> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

While Phil's guide is a very good one for C5; however, the OP is asking about EL6, not 5.  EL5 doesn't have 'yum distro-sync' available; this is a seriously handy tool for this kind of migration.  EL6 does have 'yum distro-sync' available.

There's a thread in the Scientific Linux Users mailing list on a similar topic; grep the archives for the subject "How to migrate yum installed on RHEL 6 to update from SL6 repository?" to get more information, especially on the need to replace all the upstream binary packages, not just the logos and the repository configs.