[CentOS] Slightly OT: First Time KVM and LVM on Centos

Mon Jun 20 13:56:40 UTC 2011
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is no reason that should be true.  Copying 20GB out of an LV
>> should take exactly the same amount of time as copying 20GB out of a file.
>
> What about the destination?  Wouldn't it likely be harder to find a place to put
> the LV copy than space to write a file?  Or can you copy back and forth?
>
> --
I just copy the raw filesystem directly to the remote raw filesystem
with dd over ssh. If needed you can dd the entire partition to a file
also.

With LVMs you can also mirror the LV across multiple LUNs, break the
mirror, then move the other LUN to another system.