[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 23:17:18 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On 6/30/11, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com> wrote:
> > Linux includes I/O in how it calculates the load average so you're not
> > measuring CPU alone.
>
> On the host, it's expected, I've got two qemu-kvm process loading up
> 100% cpu. Within the guest VM, top looks like this, high load but low
> cpu %.
>
> top - 10:21:40 up 1 day, 59 min,  0 users,  load average: 16.72, 6.05, 2.29
> Tasks: 176 total,   1 running, 175 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  3.3%us,  1.2%sy,  1.2%ni, 91.2%id,  2.7%wa,  0.1%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
> Mem:   1017392k total,   970564k used,    46828k free,     1436k buffers
> Swap:  2040244k total,   200572k used,  1839672k free,    30344k cached
>
> > What does top show?
> > Any error messages in /var/log during the time the server is unresponsive?
> > Is network responsive? Latency normal too?
>
> I think the network is responsive, pings work but nothing else does.
> No error messages in both host and guest. faillog, messages and dmesg
> give no clue. Which is why I figured I really need to be logged in,
> check and if necessary kill innocent processes one by one until I find
> the culprit when it's going crazy.

This looks a lot like my server looked/looks when being hit on by the
spambot(s). Lots of I/O, not much CPU.  Moving message bytes around,
etc.  What does maillog look like? There won't be errors, but how much
message traffic is there?

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com