[CentOS] Good book on Linux Admin (Centos 5.5)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 2 19:22:09 UTC 2011

Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2011/6/2 Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>:
>> My Admin books are out of date, so I need a new one that contains
>> info about the Linux as in Centos 5.5.
>>
>> I am a "Sunday user"; not one earning a living as an Admin.
>> Recommendations welcomed....
>
> how about:
>
> The Definitive Guide to CentOS (Books for Professionals by
> Professionals)  from amazon
<snip>
Then there's the Real Thing:
I'd rate these evenly, though some folks think more of the second:
Essential Systems Administration, Ealeen Frisch, O'Reilly. You should
especially read the second chapter, The Unix Way, which explains, clearly,
the archetecture of *Nix, and how it works and hangs together (not the
code, but the o/s)
(There's also an O'Reilly Linux Systems Administration title)

The other is the "red" or "purple" (forget which is most current) book:
Unix System Administration Handbook, Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, Hein

I will note that every *Nix person I know, and many Windows folks, have a
*lot* of books published by O'Reilly - he's the only publisher who goes
above and beyond to find authors who not only *really*, deeply know the
subject, BUT CAN ALSO COMMUNICATE IT CLEARLY. You can *read* O'Reilly
books, as opposed to the usual textbook (*bleah*).

       mark, who gets no kickback for advertising O'Reilly