[CentOS] ClearOS rebuild

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 23:57:07 UTC 2011

> This week's FLOSS Weekly  interview is about ClearOS (audio/video at
> http://twit.tv/floss168).  Apparently they have taken  the CentOS
> developer's frequently given advice to go away and do it yourself  and
> will have a 'ClearOS core' release that is their own rebuild from Red
> Hat sources that will be the base for the ClearOS enterprise
> distribution instead of relying on CentOS as they have before.

Thanks for the link. It makes interesting listening because there are claims
that they tried to engage with the CentOS devs to offer support and resourcing,
but that relationship was not forthcoming... so they intend to build (as I see
it) a direct competitor distribution (i.e. "binary compatible"). Also
interestingly, apparently they have recruited help from the SME/Contribs people,
so I don't know if that means SME will die because it had precious little
resources to start with (and now those resources work for the competition) or
SME will still carry on and be rebased on Clear Core. Also stated in the audio
is that this was all a direct response to the uncertainties around CentOS.

So, it is interesting to see how this is all going to pan out.