[CentOS] Good book on Linux Admin (Centos 5.5)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 3 17:32:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'm not sure how someone starting today would find the core tool set
> (which is almost unchanged today except for the GNU options on some
> commands and the addition of perl) or where to start with
> man/google.  Or if these even matter any more now that there are
> monolithic GUIs to do most common operations and computers are fast
> enough to run them.

A low barrier to entry is great for development and testing but
horrible for production.

A GUI or other framework that can assist getting a service up and
running quickly is a great help; the developer or admin and his
customer(s) can quickly understand its applicability to the task at
hand.

Moving that service into production, however, requires a different
understanding: risk assessment, scalability, configuration boundaries,
etc. The rapid-development tool rarely provides such insight, with
predicatable consequences in production.