[CentOS] Problem changing server on a LAN

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:02:17 UTC 2011

On 6/6/2011 5:47 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm having great difficulty trying to change server on my home LAN.
> At present 192.168.2.2 is my server, running CentOS-5.6
> and connecting to an ADSL modem.
> I want to change server to another CentOS machine, 192.168.2.5 .
> The problem is that I cannot get the computers on the system
> to forget the old server, even when it is completely disconnected,
> and the new server is connected to the modem.
>
> It seems extraordinarily difficult to get rid of the link
> to the old server.
> Even when all the machines are re-booted they still
> want to give 192.168.2.2 as their default gateway.
>
> Is this a problem often met in this kind of situation?
> I'm wondering if it would be simpler to give the old address
> to the new server?

I assume the computers with this problem have their IP and associated
(gateway/netmask) info configured by DHCP since if they were set up
manually you'd probably remember what to change...

So, what machine is acting as the DHCP server, has it been updated with
the new gateway info, and what was the old lease time for the
outstanding assignments?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com