[CentOS] Changing from RHEL to CentOS

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:40:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:55 AM, John J. Boyer
<john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> I have a RHEL system and I'm thinking of changing to CentOW. How can
> this be done most easily. It is important that the e-mail setup not be
> disturbed, since it was crafted to work with an  IP that requires
> authentication.

Not sure if this will help, but I went the other way from CentOS to
RedHat by grabbing a list of packages with "rpm -qa", cleaning up the
package names a bit, installing a base RedHat based on the same update
level, then "yum update" or "yum install"ing from the list of
packages. Next I diffed the configuration directories and manually
moved the changed files. Finally just backed up/restored the database
and application LVMs (dd/gzip the entire partition).