[CentOS] text-mode system and /media

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Jun 7 16:32:01 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 09:42:48 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> "system-network-config-cmd -p WirelessHome -a" will select existing
>> profile WirelessHome and activate it. It's not NetworkManager but
>> "network" service.
>
>> "iwlist ath0 scanning will list all available AP's in range so you can
>> choose ESSID for system-config-network config screen (it should work in
>> console mode.
>
> While I somewhat understand the reticence of some folks to try to understand NetworkManager, the fact of the matter is that that is upstream's preferred networking daemon these days (EL6 days, that is).  The older method will become less and less supported as time goes on.  Not that I'm a 'fan' of NetworkManager; I'm just a pragmatist in this regard: it's the preferred, supported, way to do things in that release, so might as well learn it, at least for those cases where it works well.  It's not that hard to learn how to use nmcli to do both of those operations as listed above.
>
> The second operation, for instance, is:
> nmcli dev wifi
> which will list the AP's on all wifi interfaces.
>
> To get a list of connections:
> nmcli con list
>
> To bring a connection up:
> nmcli con $conid up
>
> Configuring the connections is a different story; on Fedora at least there is cnetworkmanager, and it appears to not yet be in EPEL.  So getting the connections configured first seems to be a little more difficult.
>
> But not having tried it....I can't intelligently comment.
>
> According to the documentation at least the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory is still there, and still usable with manual editing.

I needed to reactivate my Atheros radio after hibernate on CentOS 5.x,
and NetworkManager on 5.x was not able to do that,so I had to use
Network service and in cli to be able to script it.

I used NetworkManager in RHEL 6 Beta1 (recompiled it to work) but never
needed it in cli mode.

OP stated that he is *running* headless *server*, so extrapolation gave
me: CentOS 5.x (already running) and non movable system for one wireless
connection (headless server). So knowing how lame NetworkManager in 5.x
is, I suggested viable solution for his particular problem, unmovable
headless CentOS 5.x

And thanks for NM cli commands, I might need it when my laptop goes C6.

Ljubomir