[CentOS] hard disk install failure

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jun 7 17:20:52 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 01:04:11 PM Timothy Murphy wrote:
> who told me I had been chosen as a recipient of their new "Ultimate" system,
> which would increase my speed from 5Mb/s to 14Mb/s,
> at no extra cost!

The speed increase is possible, for sure, as long as you're close enough to the DSLAM.  We have an 11Mb/s DSL option here, but it does require improved hardware (ADSL2+).

The modem wants a password for management; you'll need to google for the default modem password for that particular model to be able to start management without the CD.  Using the modem manufacturer's CD allows an easy setup for Windows, typically, and walks you through the install, but it's very rarely actually required, unless it does have a firmware update on it.