[CentOS] text-mode system and /media

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:45:32 UTC 2011

On 6/7/2011 11:48 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:32:01 PM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> So knowing how lame NetworkManager in 5.x
>> is, I suggested viable solution for his particular problem, unmovable
>> headless CentOS 5.x
>
>> And thanks for NM cli commands, I might need it when my laptop goes C6.
>
> Which is why I mentioned them, as that is the direction upstream is going.  EL5 probably will never have many of the very nice amenities that EL6 has.
>
> But the whole NM thing isn't actually on the line of the OP's question; that was about hotplugged USB drives.....

A similar but worse situation most likely.  There's a lot of gunk that
assumes that the person logged into the console automatically owns some
of the devices - a concept that doesn't make much sense in the context
of a multiuser system that can handle concurrent users.  And I think
some of that is wired into the GUI parts.  I'd say you are better off
avoiding that and mounting/unmounting things the way you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com