[CentOS] daemon user can't acess file while nobody user can.

Nicolas Ross

rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Tue Jun 7 19:43:28 UTC 2011

I have a server where /home is on a nfs. I installed an apache (my compile)
server. By default, it runs as daemon. That user can't acces files in
/home/*/public_html, while the nobody user can. So if I change my apache
config, it now can.

/home is : drwxr-xr-x
/home/user is : drwxr-xr-x
/home/user/public_html is : drwxr-xr-x

selinux is disabled.

In the error log of apache I get :

(13)Permission denied: access to /~user/file.jpg denied

I changed the shell for the daemon user so I can diagnose a little bit more,
and I cannot get into the user directory. When on a local drive, it's ok.

So why is that the daemon user cannot go into the user directory via nfs ?