[CentOS] Paypal phishing warning

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Jun 9 08:51:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the cross-post, and off-topic at that, but:
>
> This morning I received a very authentic looking email from
> info.paypal.com, claiming that Paypal wanted me to update my browser.
> (Really.)
>
> It had my name in it and all the right graphics and colors and everything.
>
> Except that the from site was info.paypal.com (whoever they are: hint
> - not paypal.com) and the links all had long obfuscated links in them.
>
> I verified with paypal that it was not legitimate, so I though you
> might all be warned as well.
>
> You may now return to the appropriate technical discussions....

If the mail came from info.paypal.com then I would suspect a "rogue
insider job",  OR their servers could be compromised. No-one but the
network / domain adminstrator(s) of paypal.com can actually setup a
subdomain on their own server called info.paypal.com

Even if I setup a domain called info.paypal.com on one of our servers,
the links won't work and the phishing attempt would be void to start
with.

Are / were those links clickable? If So then I would raise it to their
attention again that their servers could probably have been
compromised

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers