[CentOS] What is someone trying to do?

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 20:19:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Jason <slackmoehrle.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you see attempts to fetch things that are not installed on your
>> system it is usually someone up to no good.
> Well, I was creating ReWrite rules and directing to 301 when something came in that was not on my system, but it does involve almost daily editing of the rules to keep up with the new invalid requests that I see everyday.
>
> -Jason

Do you edit rewrite rules for every access that would otherwise be a
404 and change it to a 301?  If so, what do you redirect them to, and
why?  Sounds like a lot of work.

My experience has been that they tend to go away if they get 404 (not
found) errors.
I have noticed, though, that sometimes I seem to get hit with a
similar pattern of requests from different IP addresses.  Just
guessing that multiple different people find the same script or list
of stuff to feed a script, and independently try the same requests
from different places.

Mike