[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jun 14 15:06:13 UTC 2011

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 06:19 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> Timeliness, dunno. Ubuntu (or fedora) for production? NOT IF I HAVE ANY
>> CONTROL!!! Given how many developers write incredibly fragile code, that
>> is utterly dependent upon a very, very special environment, I guarantee
>> that the almost daily updates will break it, or the New Features! will
>> have changed interfaces....
<snip>
> And AppArmor has yet to 'knee-cap' me like SELinux has (repeatedly) by
> breaking previously stable systems. Where I routinely disable SELinux on
> CentOS, I have yet to have AppArmor interfere with normal ops - ever. It
> "just works".

Ok... do you have in-house developed software? I've got one team that's
using ruby on rails, and the other admin has to compile it from source,
because they, I mean, just *have* to have the latest version, and another
team has a customized version of some software that is either licensed, or
open source, don't remember, that's all in java, and then there's the
parallel processing programs....

But the first two, esp the first, are *incredibly* fragile, and I've seen
that in other places I've worked. Then there was the grief I had on a box
that's only used for offline backups on encrytped drives, and going from
10? 11? to 13 was a nightmare, and X wouldn't work until I got rid of
gnome, and put KDE on....

I want solid and stable.

          mark, <http://xkcd.org/705>