[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jun 14 17:51:15 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 6/14/2011 12:19 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> I'm an admin. I'm a contractor.
>
> Oh - OK.  Then you aren't expected to care about the long term
> consequences.

Yes, I bloody well am. I work for a federal contractor, and as long as
they have the multi-year contract, and my boss likes me, I have the job.

And even if I didn't, as a professional, it friggin' DOES matter to me.

>>> OK, but what was that about things like ruby and java? (Java being more
>>> or less OK now...).  If you don't use/need software from this decade,
>>> then maybe it isn't a big issue for you either way.
>>
>> "This decade"? Oh, come *on* Mike, be real. Just because the languages
>> they use are changing continually doesn't mean that a *language*
>> compiler or interpreter a couple-three years old shouldn't work.
>
> The flip side of that is that you are ignoring thousands (millions?) of
> man-hours of development work in improvements that could be yours for
> free.

They're not *my* work. I don't get the chance to code any more. And yes,
improvements... where a language changes year to year? It used to be that
it took *years* to get a major change through (say, K&R to ANSI). Now they
come along as frequently as updates to, um, fedora. If it were up to me, I
wouldn't *touch* some of that stuff till it soaked for a year or two.

Oddly enough, I just read this book review on slashdot, which mentioned
something I'd never heard of: the Software Craftsmanship Movement. Seems
to be advocating things, some of which I've bitched and moaned about how
things sould be done for decades.

          mark
        mark