[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jun 15 20:39:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 10:12 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> Never wait until revision.1 unless there's a good reason. :-)
>
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html
>
> There are a number of "Important" reasons not to deploy 6.0 for
> public-facing systems.

Nine errata marked Critical:
   * six for firefox and thunderbird (which wouldn't be on
     public-facing servers, at least in my shop)
   * one for pango, which wouldn't see much use on a server
   * one server-side for samba (samba server public facing? hmm.)
   * one for java -- released one week ago (June 8)

Of the other vulnerabilities, marked Important and lower, it's
difficult for me to tell how many also needed to be fixed in CentOS 5.

I'm not trying to serve as apologist for RHEL 6. I'm just saying that
there's little room in my world for an abolutist position like "never
use a .0 release -- ever."