[CentOS] CentOS 5 32bit and 3Tbyte drives

Stephen Harris

lists at spuddy.org
Sun Jun 19 02:00:25 UTC 2011

Has anyone tried to use these yet?

For hysterical raisons, my primary machine is CentOS5 32bit (up to date).

In the machine I have a SiI 3132 dual port SATA controller with port
multiplier.  Both ports are plugged into an external storage device
which presents 4 SATA disks on each port, for a total of 8 possible disks.

Currently I have 5*1Tb in there, configured as RAID5 via mdadm

I boot off an internal SATA disk; I don't see a need to change that.

But space is running out; I wondering if the new 3Tb disks would work
in this scenario; most importantly will 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5PAE see the
whole disk?  And also whether I need to be worried about 4Kbyte sectors.

These new disks are confusing me!

--

rgds
Stephen