[CentOS] lots of disk activity keep process from responding

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Mon Jun 20 15:05:34 UTC 2011

hi all

I have something like 3000 log files in a directory (from data collection).
At 4am in the morning cron runs a script of mine that essentiallly trims
all files in that directory back to a certain size.
Basically does a "tail -c XXXX filename > tmp_filename"

I have noticed that only around the 4am-4:15 time frame when the trim is
happening does my
other process log connection attempts but my process (forking and
opening databases) is not responding in time to give data back
to the connecting process. Not critically important as it just tries
again and all ok...

My question is how do I tell the script that runs to run at a lower
priority perhaps ???
Or is there another way to do this I am not aware of?

The trimmming of the log files is just so they they dont take a bunch of
space on the HD.
It doesnt have to be done supper fast or anything.

Any ideas I might try? Thanks,

Jerry