[CentOS] lots of disk activity keep process from responding

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:51:44 UTC 2011

On 6/20/11, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I have noticed that only around the 4am-4:15 time frame when the trim is
> happening does my
> other process log connection attempts but my process (forking and
> opening databases) is not responding in time to give data back
> to the connecting process. Not critically important as it just tries
> again and all ok...

I was having similar problems with a script crawling through thousands
of small files. As suggested by others here, using ionice appeared to
have made a world of difference.

On top of that, since it's your own script and since speed isn't
critical, you could insert breaks after every x files to allow other
processes time to run.