[CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Kevin Thorpe kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com
Wed Jun 22 15:33:05 UTC 2011

>>> And you say that, using localhost:631, you did add printer, then
>>> selected make and model, and chose one of the drivers, and it still
>>> doesn't do the right thing?
>>
>> That sets the printer up just fine in Linux. I can print to that fine
>> with Open Office. The problem I have is that a generic PS driver in
>> Windows to the SMB printer outputs the raw PS script instead of rendering
>> which is odd because the CUPS test page is a postscript file.
>
> Hmmm... maybe we're looking at this the wrong way: what is the setup on
> the *Windows* side - what driver does that use?

I put together the cups PS driver (cupsps6.dll et.al.) and the postscript driver
from HP laserjet PS (pscript5.dll et.al.) as described in the CUPS HOWTO
then used cupsaddsmb to make it available to the workstations. This driver
installs automatically just fine when I connect to the printer share and
quite correctly produces a postscript file - unfortunately samba+CUPS
don't recognise the need to render it. I haven't got cups options = raw in
my smb.conf so it shouldn't bypass the CUPS filtering (I don't think)

--
Kevin Thorpe
Head of IT