[CentOS] Chicken and egg question: passwd and cronjob

Fajar Priyanto

fajarpri at arinet.org
Thu Jun 23 06:46:01 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Let's say I activate password expiration for every account (including
root) for every 90 days.
I understand that cronjob for root will fail when the password expires.

The question is, if I setup a cronjob every 90 days to renew the root
password like: echo diFficulT123 | passwd --stdin root
will it work?

I mean at second 1 on the 90th day, which will run first?
- The cronjob to renew the password
- Or the password expiration, thus preventing the cronjob from running.

Pardon me if it's silly.
I know it's bad to change password from script, but the root acc is
not used at all and has been disabled from logon remotely.
I just need it to keep various cronjob to keep running. Any other
advise are welcome.