[CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Jun 23 10:00:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, June 23, 2011 11:53, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Giles Coochey wrote:
>
>> Can you avoid the bar.baz.domain.com.domain.com by searching for
>>
>> bar.baz.domain.com.
>>
>> (note trailing dot)
>>
>> ??
>
> Hmm, good suggestion, that I'd not considered, Thanks.  It does appear to
> clear that up (down to two lookups from three: an AAAA and an A).  It
> doesn't
> always appear to work though:
>
> http://bar.baz.domain.com./index.html
>
> This doesn't appear to universally work, but I'm not sure whether that's a
> bug
> with the affected web servers or not.

Yes, I'm sure it will depend on the implementation, the trailing dot was
somewhat an educated guess from previous ISC BIND & dig tool use. :-)
As for both the A and AAAA record, I think you will have that until IPv4
is fully deprecated by IPv6 and no longer exists, unless, of course, you
want to use non IPv6 aware software (or non-IPv4 aware software... shudder
- it will happen!).