[CentOS] ext4 in CentOS 5.6?

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Fri Jun 24 07:45:19 UTC 2011

Le 24/06/2011 03:44, Marian Marinov a écrit :
> On Friday 24 June 2011 04:34:20 Smithies, Russell wrote:
>> We have a single 27TB partition (35 x 1TB drives as RAID5+0 in an HP
>> MDS600), just formatted it xfs and had no problems with it so far. It's
>> used as scratch space so not too concerned about performance.
>>
>> --Russell
>>
> I have compared the performance of both XFS and Ext4. And since I use those
> big machines for backups, for me the write performance was very important.
> XFS was almost twice slower.
>
> But lets leave XFS alone :) Ext4 is the way to go :)
>
> Marian

I am using XFS on an HPC cluster, one single partition of 14 TB, with no
problem so far.

See this news on Phoronix. XFS is becoming cleaner and leaner. I am
happy to use ext4 instead of ext3 on usual partitions, but XFS on big
partitions seems to me still a good choice. Let's see what happens in
the future.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTU4OA

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33