[CentOS] Strange issue's with LDAP and too many open files

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Fri Jun 24 12:06:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Sebastiaan Koetsier | proserve wrote:

> I've been growing a large headache on this one, i have a number of LDAP
> servers behind loadbalancing, since 2 days i constantly get the error:
> Too many open files. Although I'm not a newbie with linux I'm unable to
> resolve this, I have took the following stept:

You need to specify nofile for ldap in the /etc/sysconfig/ldap file. For
example, I have:

ULIMIT_SETTINGS="-n 16384"

Setting it for the ldap user in /etc/security/limits.conf will not have
any effect, since it is root that starts the ldap server (so, the setting
should be for root, not ldap).

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,282 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"