[CentOS] /dev/sd and /dev/mapper

Steve Campbell

campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jun 24 12:24:57 UTC 2011

I've done a little research, and can't really find out why it happens,
but on one server I have built, I get the old fashion /dev/sda1,
/dev/sda2 type partitions and on another server I get the /dev/mapper
style partitions. Both machines are hardware raided (before the install)
and both machines are Centos 5.5 64 bit, using the same set of CDs to
install from.

Can someone please explain why this happens? I'm not sure it matters, so
this is just a curious bother. The machines are different brands with
different raid controllers. Both were partitoned using the "custom
layout" when installed. I'm thinking I must have overlooked a checkbox
or something during the install.

This is not a big deal, not a problem, it's just an itch in my brain.

Thanks for any explanation.

steve campbell