[CentOS] Jumbo frames problem with Realtek NICs?

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 04:10:03 UTC 2011

On 6/26/11, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 12:05 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>>
>> Default Driver ->  ElRepo driver
>> 1500 MTU ->  3000 MTU = OK
>
> That's not going to be reliable.  Sooner or later, you'll see the mount
> hang (any transfer may) if your MTUs don't match.

Thanks for the warning although I wasn't on planning on using
mismatched MTU for real operations :)
It was for the purpose of determining the effects of using the
different MTU that I was doing that.

Even if there wasn't the risk of a hang, for the sake of better
performance, it seems that matched MTU are better anyway. The sys time
component increased on the receiving side in relation to the
receiver's MTU but drops significantly (8~10%) when non-default MTU
are matched.