[CentOS] How do I Install and activate?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 27 13:39:43 UTC 2011

John J. Boyer wrote:
> I have just installed CentOS 5.6 from disk and updated it.
>
> 1. I would like to use telnet on my local network. How do I activate it?

You. Should. Not. Use. Telnet. except for *very* particular debugging
work. Use ssh. In face, if you're working at anywhere but home, I'd be
*very* surprised if your employer allows telnet for any real use. Use ssh.
Telnet is from when the 'Net was a kinder, gentler place, and transfers
things like username and password in plain text, meaning someone sniffing
your network can read it.

> 2. How do I install Mercurial? it is not in the repository.
>
> 3. How do I install eclipse? It is also not in the repository.

As someone else noted, the std. package manager for CentOS is yum. man
yum, but as an example:
yum install mercurial<enter>

        mark