[CentOS] Mail Question

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jun 28 13:36:42 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 07:54 PM, Bo Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, June 27, 2011 8:18 pm, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 03:01 AM, Bo Lynch wrote:
>>
>>> /var/mail/farmer for user farmer. cannot open file: File too large
>>>

>> self compiled postfix?
>
> No self compiled postfix....it appears to be something with the MDA. If I
> tell postfix to use procmail it works just fine. However after doing some
> reading I have heard some pretty good things about Dovecot LDA. So I'm
> gonna try that I guess. What does postfix use as a default MDA? Any
> recomendations on procmail vs Dovecot LDA? Thanks again for all your help

Like devin suggested, change your mail store format to maildir and get a
whole host of benefits over mbox. All filesystems in Centos 5 have
indexed/hashed directories so you should not have problems with
thousands of email in each mailbox.

As for your lda, choose whatever you can support. I don't know whether
you have to generate filter recipes or not but take those into account
if you do. I personally am using postfix and dovecot lda with sieve support.