[CentOS] Is reboot needed after updating kernel, glibc, database?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Jun 28 17:13:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Robert Heller wrote:

* snip *

>>> A reboot is also required in the cases of a glibc update
>>> unless you take the time to restart all services that
>>> are running and logout and then log back in to
>>> interactive shell sessions.
>>
>> I've also noticed that Firefox will not operate correctly
>> after some updates, and a reboot seems to fix this.
>
> Strange.  Never needed to do that.  Of course, I *exit*
> from FF *before* doing a yum update when I know a new FF
> is in the pipeline.

Maybe that's because my machine is running generally 24/7,
and I do quite often leave FF running on 2-3 desktops, with
several tabs open at once. Then yum runs each night as a
cron job. But even so, if I shut down all instances of FF
and start one fresh instance again, IIRC I still seem to
need to do a reboot *sometimes* to get things back in sync
again.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: