[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Jun 29 22:00:07 UTC 2011

--On Thursday, June 30, 2011 05:04:07 AM +0800 Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/11, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The seriously on-the-cheap approach is to run a few virtual servers on
>> hardware slightly better than one of the individual servers would need.
>
> Actually THAT is the fundamental problem ;)
> The physical server is frankly much more powerful than the two guest
> running on it. I have the same applications + public web/email running
> on old dual core machines with less memory than the guests.

I don't recall you mentioning which VM solution you're using.

Some problematic areas that I've seen when using VMs:

+ memory ballooning sometimes causes problems (I've not actually seen
  it, but I've seen various warnings about having it enabled and
  resultant flakiness, and I run with it disabled)

+ I/O stacks not doing TCP segment offload correctly.  This is an ugly
  one that bit me hard and took a while to track down.  It's happened in
  both ESXi and Xen (and I'm not saying that KVM isn't affected, either).

  The symptoms of this is things seem to be fine under low load, but as
  network traffic starts to increase TCP sessions start stalling out
  or dying.  I've seen it to the point where I can't even maintain an
  ssh session long enough to get a login prompt.

  What it comes down to is the top level (virtual) OS decides to hand off
  TCP segmentation to the (virtual) NIC.  To make a long story short,
  between the guest OS, the virtual NICs, the virtual switches, the
  host OS, and the physical NICs, there exists a path (depending on
  versions and hardware) where everyone things somebody else is doing
  TCP segment handling, and nobody is.  So as I/O goes up or fragmentation
  occurs, the protocol goes into the toilet.  Sometimes you miss packets
  and sometimes the data is corrupt.

  Disabling tcp segment offload in both the host and guest avoids the
  problem (forcing the OS to do it instead of the VM & physical layers).
  Be aware of reboots and update processes that want to reenable it ...

Devin