[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Jun 30 22:00:11 UTC 2011

On 6/30/2011 4:53 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Right now it doesn't look like an mail run, more like a httpd run
>> because it's starting to look like a large number of httpd threads was
>> spawned just before that.
> OK, there are probably settings for Apache to run fewer threads.
> Probably better have a "Server too busy" type of message than a wedged
> server.  (And most likely the extra httpd threads will just be spambots
> of some sort anyway -- who cares if they get tossed...)

With the launch of Living Social, we have had a few clients use that
service and you will suddenly have all Apache instances running and the
server acting very laggy to all but unresponsive. I have cut back on the
total number of Apache instances due to these 'non-attacks' which are
much like a DoS attack. It seems the first day is horrid, the second not
so bad and it wains down from there.

This really raises a new question of what to do the handle such
broadcast ads? We run very conservative server loads, but...

I don't recommend running it all the time, only when you need to catch
something, but server status can be your friend. You can run a refresh
in your browser... leave it running in a tab set to refresh like once
every minute or five. It will show the instances of Apache and the files
being accessed. Much faster than digging through logs in a Virt server
environment. This feature is built into Apache, but is not on by
default. Look at your httpd.conf file.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502