[CentOS] Looking for a facebook / twitter desktop-like APP for general use

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:08:18 UTC 2011

On 3/1/2011 1:08 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/01/11 10:59 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>> Not today. My kids are all "modern, computer-savvy teens" (understand
>> "teens" starts at about age 11 and lasts until about age 35).  They can
>> Facebook *all* *day* but cannot compose an email to save their lives.
>>
>> I'll have to look into jabber.
>
> jabber is a IM client
>
> seems like what you want is more like a webpage with 'news items' on it,
> perhaps a blog like S9Y or Wordpress, and a  web browser window
> displaying the current page on the desktop, maybe that auto refreshes
> hourly or something.

A jabber (xmpp) group conference would probably work with basically
instant notification and a display of the last screen at startup.  I've
used the Openfire server (java, uses postgresql for logins and to log
data)and the spark client in a somewhat similar scenario with OpenNMS
sending alarm notifications to the group because it is less annoying
than email.  Not sure if you can make a client start automatically in a
group conference, though.  It might work to just use google talk since
you used that as your example of what you wanted but I don't think they
have a way to make permanent groups.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com