[CentOS] fast processing and buffering

Michael D. Berger

m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 15:59:20 UTC 2011

I have a C++ program that opens, gets a little data from, and closes
about 5000 files.  Now if I run the program when I first boot up,
the running time is from about 10 seconds to a minute.  Subsequently,
the program runs in well inter one second.  Buffering -- right?

So I changed a parameter, so the program gets a different (albeit
similar) 5000 files from a different directory.  Running time on
the first try:  well under one second.

How about that?

[~]$ uname -a
Linux xxxxx 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 17:53:09 EST 2011 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks for your comments.
Mike.